Is Google's Blogger Dead or Alive?

That is the ultimate question.
I’ve been searching online and looking for some answers: will there be any new updates for Google’s Blogger? Is Blogger still relevant today? I have a feeling that Blogger is being abandoned and it’s just there, floating in cyberspace. Blogger is slow on bringing anything new on their platform. Now it’s dead silent. Is Blogger dead or alive, that is the ultimate question.
Hello, Is Anyone There?
The last update from Blogger’s news feed is from May 2020. The news feed can be found on blogger.googleblog.com. I noticed that Blogger's Twitter account went private...that's strange. The only other place to get the latest updates is from the Blogger’s Help Community. It's nice to know there are people out there who are still using the platform. I just wonder why they don’t add any updated news on their official Blogger’s blog.
There's a pattern with blogger's announcements, they only update once a year. The last big update (2020) was when they announced their redesigned interface. Two years later, there's nothing much else going on. Only that they've removed some features, but not adding anything new nor replacing it with something better.
I'm just concerned for the lack of communication from Blogger. I don't know if this is a bad omen. I can understand Google have tons of important tech projects to deal with. I'm guessing Blogger is not one of their top priorities.
The Future is Foggy
I don’t know what the future holds for Blogger. That is the greatest mystery. One of the reasons why I switched from Blogger to WordPress is that I'm tired of waiting in the dark and the Blogger community is a ghost town. After 10+ years living on Blogger, it's time to move on to a platform that have signs of life.
I am worried at any moment Google can pull the plug on Blogger like they did for Google+ (was not surprising). Any social media or any online services that's labeled "free to use," you don't own your content and they can delete it without your consent. So it's best to diversify, back-up your content, or buy a domain.
This is 2022, there are so many better web building sites like, Wix, WordPress, and Square Space, continuing to innovate the website experience. I just wish that Blogger step up their game and continue to make improvements. There’s so much potential that they are missing out on. Seriously Blogger, you need a major update on your gadgets.
Never Looking Back
It's only been a month since the switch and I am already in love with WordPress. WP has way more features and tools for editing posts. For example, (this might sound silly), there’s an option to make a tiled image gallery very easily. There are no options like that on Blogger and I have to force the images to go side-by-side. It’s like trying to put two magnets with the same ends together. I constantly have to fight with Blogger’s editing tools and among other issues. I don't want to go back to my old blog. I am in blogging heaven right now.
I won’t judge anyone who uses Blogger, do whatever makes you happy. Blogger is still a good platform for beginners and no web skills needed, like me. It’s easy to set up. I also do like the interface, it’s simple and clean.
There’s not many people online talking about this, so I wanted to add my two cents to the conversation. I am curious if anyone else has the same concerns as me. Blogger is not dead yet. I’m sure that Google won’t be deleting the platform anytime soon, as long as people are still using it. Google just seems to treat it like a neglected object shoved into the corner to collect dust.


Comments
Post a Comment