AMC's Interview with the Vampire - Episode 3
Is My Very Nature That of a Devil
I know in my previous post I’ve said that I wouldn’t do episodic reviews (well...I've changed my mind), but there are some issues that I have with episode 3 and I’d like to address them.
In Episode 3, Louis is struggling to adjust to the vampire lifestyle. He starts to question what’s the purpose of his existence and morality. He wants to be more selective when choosing his victims by killing the evil doers. He tries to adapt a vegan diet by eating animals. On the other hand, Lestat doesn’t want to live his life by just surviving on a “vegan” diet. He wants to fully embrace the Dark Gift and enjoys playing with his “food”.
Louis thought that his life might improve after becoming a vampire. However, that’s not the case. He is still being treated as a second class citizen. His family, sister and mother, already suspects there’s something wrong him and sees him as the devil. As well as, losing his brothel businesses to a white entrepreneur, Fenwick, who buys his saloon properties. Meanwhile, Lestat is not affected by this, he sits back and enjoys the comfortable life. While Louis gets frustrated over the racial segregation and kindly reminds Lestat the horrors his people has to face throughout the history.
Louis and Lestat’s relationship gets more complicated. Lestat wants to have an open relationship, a “taste” for the variety. Louis is not too thrilled about this, but if Lestat says it’s okay, then he can do the same. However, Lestat admits he got jealous when he spied on Louis in the woods, getting a little too frisky with another man.
I’m face palming - clearly Lestat is not ready for a polygamous relationship and before, why did he say he was open to it? I’m confused! He can no longer read Louis’s mind. (The maker can’t read their fledgling mind). This is why verbal communication is still important. The hilarious part is when Lestat invites a group of military men to his apartment. Lestat says to Louis: you’ll F*** them and I’ll eat them. I’m like: OMG! Lestat! 😂 ... he has the best chaotic moments.
This is where Louis and Lestat’s differences in their perspectives comes clashing. Louis wants to do the right thing and tries to holds on to his humanity. But his bloodlust and revenge gets the best of him. Lestat congratulates him for fully embracing his vampiric nature, after murdering Fenwick and causing chaos on the streets. Louis is disgusted by what he has done. Lestat will never understand Louis’s emotional turmoil. So, Louis had enough, Lestat deserves to be alone forever. (Ouch!)
The problem that I have in episode 3 is that they broke Anne Rice’s rule on how vampire sex function. These vampires don’t have sex. They don’t get aroused from any sex acts, instead they get pleasure by drinking blood. I don’t mind them showing sensual scenes. I just don’t want to see erotic sex scenes, even if it's off screen, so early in the season. I know that Anne has written erotic themes in her books, but there's no eroticism in Interview. It just feels odd to me and I don’t really like it.
At least the core of the book’s themes are still there, like being an outcast, fear of loneliness, and finding a purpose. Theses vampires have all the time in world and they have to find a way to fill that void. Like, what sort of relationships they want, finding a community/family to belong in, and connecting with the world in which keeps them grounded. I think it’s a universal theme that anyone can relate to. Despite being monsters, they have their human emotions still intact. Even Lestat admits that his greatest fear is being alone.
Easter eggs
(Episode 2) 2020 Louis has a painting made by Marius de Romanus, oldest-ancient vampire, who is a scholar and a classical painter.
Louis’s butler or assistance is called Rashid (Assad Zaman). This character only appeared in Blood and Gold, which is about Marius’s story. In the book, he’s a vampire who served under his maker, Eudoxia. In the TV show, he’s definitely not a vampire, he’s human.
I’m starting to question: is Louis the only vampire living in the apartment? Is this really his flat? Also, where did he get the Fire Gift. The only way to get that power is drinking from the blood of a powerful-older vampire. The show makers hints that a character from the Queen of the Damned will appear. All signs seems to point to Marius…I really don’t know, it could be anyone, and the suspense is killing me!
It looks like Claudia will enter the picture in the next episode, things will get more interesting.





Comments
Post a Comment