Is this the End of Physical Media?
It’s true that they say: we don’t appreciate for the things we have until it’s gone.
I have been hearing news about companies that are phasing out physical media such as DVDs and video games. We are at the point where all-digital media and subscriptions services are the future. But I am getting worried about how our choices in consuming media entertainment is limited and that companies are forcing consumers to pick one option: you will not own any physical media, so get “comfortable”.
You’ll own nothing and you will happy
Microsoft has shutdown their entire physical games division for Xbox. There are focusing more on paid subscription service/digital storefront or cloud gaming. This is not anything new because the same fate has happened to PC gaming. When I was a kid, I grew up on PC gaming and it was on CD-roms packaged in a big box (for non-millennials, this is what it looks like). But as years have gone by, many retail stores have slowly downsized on physical PC games and now it’s all digital only.
I don’t use an Xbox, I’ve retired from PC gaming and now my main sources of gaming are Nintendo and PlayStation because they have many physical games that are still available today. I am worried that Nintendo and PlayStation might follow in Microsoft’s footsteps going all-digital. If their future next-gen consoles are going to go disk less, then it’s inevitable and as consumers, we don’t really have any choice.
Even with retail stores such as Best buy and Walmart are phasing out physical copies of games and also DVDs. I am assuming that not many people are buying physical media. Society has spoken with their wallets and more people are buying into digital media and subscription services. We’ve paid the price for convenience.
Physical vs. Digital
Personally, I have nothing against buying digital purchases. I do a 50/50: I have a small collection of physical media that I own like books, DVDs, music CDs and video games. I’ve bought them as digital versions as well. I collect stuff in moderation and I don’t want to become a hoarder, since I have limited storage in my living space. I have to be picky on which is worthy of owning it on a physical or digital copy. I completely understand the appeal of buying all-digital because it’s convenient, no need to leave your home, and saves you a lot of space in your home.
On the other hand, I do still enjoy owning physical media because you own it, nobody can take it away from you, pay it once and keep it forever for free. No monthly subscription service needed, like Netflix. What’s annoying about subscriptions is that every year the prices have increased. (remember when Netflix was only 8 dollars). Now that there are so many different streaming services to choose from, it feels no different from cable TV. But I’m uncertain about the future of only relying on subscriptions and digital storefronts (iTunes, cloud-based online services). At any moment, companies can take any content away from you without your consent. Like, Discovery removing their content from the PlayStation Store and then reversed course. (word of advice: always back up your stuff). In the end, physical media will always win because you actually own it instead of “leasing” it as long it’s available.
I just want choices
The main problem that I have is that companies are taking away consumer’s choice on how they want to view content. I do not want to see a future where only all-digital content is available and it’s permanently gated by a monthly pay wall. I want everybody to have choices and decide whichever way they want to consume media. I also can’t be sure if the subscription services and digital storefronts are going to stick around for all eternity. (hey, I won’t’ judge anyone who decides to sail-the seven-seas).
In the meantime, while physical media still exists, enjoy it while you still can. The only power we have is to vote with your money, if you want physical media to be around. It worked with Vinyl and record players; those old relics are popular again. What’s old always circles back just like fashion trends.
It all depends on consumer’s demand. It’s up to the companies to decide if they want to release upcoming videogames, blu-rays and etc. in a physical package. But when corporations continue to make things difficult for consumers to enjoy their entertainment, then they’re going to leave and find another alternative that’s better.
Is anyone worried about this? Or am I just being paranoid?


Comments
Post a Comment