AMC Interview With the Vampire - Trailer 2 & Behind the Scenes [Thoughts]

This trailer makes me more optimistic or I’m just in an unusual good mood today.

I am trying to look on the positive side because I can easily be pessimistic sometimes. I’m just happy that this TV show will get more people talking about the Vampire Chronicles. Hopefully, Anne Rice’s books will get more love and attention for newcomers who are curious about it.

Watching the latest trailer, it looks a lot better (so is the music choice) and we get a little more context to some scenes. It makes me more excited and optimistic. Maybe… it might be not as bad as I previously thought. But we’ll have to wait see until Oct 2 on Sundays at 10 PM.

Photo via @Immortal_AMC (twitter)

I also watched AMC’s Behind the Scenes of The Interview with the Vampire and the production designs looks gorgeous! They showed Lestat’s apartment, I love the gothic and art deco mix. It's very fitting for a posh vampire and it goes with the 1920s aesthetics. The funny part was they added hidden switches/levers to reveal secret rooms where Lestat, Louis, and Claudia sleep in their coffins. I thought that was a cute idea.

I think it’s great that the production team are having fun and they have passion for their work, making sure that the show looks authentic. It reflects Anne's writing style of being very detailed oriented. She can write 10 pages of just describing a house and its' interior designs. I do also appreciate they shot the show on real locations in New Orleans. (My dream is to someday visit New Orleans…someday.)

The writers and executives producers talk about making sure the show portrays the heart and soul of Anne Rice’s storytelling. I hope that’s true. Despite the changes they’ve made, most important thing is to stay true to the book’s themes of loss, melancholy, sexy vampires, finding a purpose, and redemption. If they successfully manage to do that, then I will overlook the changes.

Some fun facts: they’ve mentioned that one of the characters from the Queen of the Damned (3rd book) will make an appearance in the show. Oh! I’m intrigued now. There are also going to add some references to the Mayfair Witches. Another one of Anne’s book series, The Lives of the Mayfair Witches, is also getting an TV show adaptation coming in 2023. We’re getting a double dose of Anne’s works being adapted and this is just too much for me to handle!

Life Imitates Art

One other thing that I like to talk about is the current climate of entertainment. I hope that this won’t effect the show:

I hope that AMC won't follow the same path as Amazon’s Rings of Power, using the bigotry card to deflect criticism and attacking the fans who don’t like the product. It just further divides the fanbase and we already have enough division in the real world. It doesn’t matter whether the content is diverse or not, we want to see good quality content. It’s not that much to ask for. If corporations can’t make good products, well who’s fault is that?

We’re living in a crazy times of the culture war. All of it is just so tiresome. The last thing I need right now is seeing a beloved franchise being used for political activism. I hope that AMC doesn’t use their marketing to get rage bait headlines. Just stay away from the drama and let the work speak for itself.

Anyways…

I’m going to shut up now. I’ve vented out all of my worries and I feel better now. As I see more content from the TV show, it restores my faith a little more. I hope it does a good job. Good or bad, I’m still looking forward to the discussions/critics and memes on the internet.

 

Comments